Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Take a Walk with Me...

... on my fitness journey.  I'm not calling this a diet, because to me diets are something that you start and stop.  This is a lifestyle change.  I am taking a journey to find a more fit me, I don't want to just be active, I want to be fit physically.  No, I'm not talking bodybuilder physique, just toned and in great shape.  I've done numerous diets in the past where I would go on a binge of eating what I thought was healthy and drop 30 lbs only to go back into old habits and quickly gain it all back.  I can't really blame it on my kids although my pregnancy with Austin I believe is to be mostly at fault, but I'm kind of pushing it on the doctor (a story for another day). 

This journey started approximately 4 1/2 weeks ago, one night while at home I got a craving for an ice cold Coke SO badly that I broke out in a cold sweat!  I realized right then and there that I needed to change something, and then I reflected further that I was hounding and hounding my kids that they needed to eat better but I wasn't setting any kind of an example!  How on earth could I expect them to change their habits if I wasn't even willing to change them myself!!  The whole mantra of "do what I say not what I do" doesn't work!  You have to be willing to lead by example!  Thus, the very next day I passed up the local convenience store and did not get my usual 44oz Coke.  This was NOT a very good day to quit, because it just happened to coincide with the day that a very good friend of mine was moving back to the metroplex, but I decided to stick it out, because guess what THERE IS NO GOOD TIME TO QUIT!!  You will always be able to find an excuse for something!  Just making that small change I dropped 4lbs in the first week, that to me was monumental, so I decided ok I can do this.  I'm going to totally change my lifestyle, I started up my account with myfitnesspal.com (if you would like to find and friend me search for rcloud) and I started logging in EVERYTHING I ate, even if I just grabbed one cookie, I logged it.  I was really pretty astonished at how much I was eating.  Then I really started to think about what I was eating and tried to stay within my calorie limits and you know what it was easy!  If you cut out junk food and fast food (even Subway), you'd be surprised at how much food you can pass across your lips and still stay within your goals.

It was at that time also that I decided to get my butt moving and go to the gym.  After all I was paying for it and NOT using it, how smart is that ?!?  I may as well flush a $20 down the toilet every month if I'm not going to go to the gym that I'm paying to use.  So, I made a deal with myself, hit the gym at least 3 times a week and I'll go get a pedicure, it's amazing what you can do if you have a little motivation.  If you're going to set a goal like this though it's important to not reward yourself if you don't reach your goal, because honestly what is the motivation if you're going to reward yourself whether you do what you need to or not.  Then next week I said ok if I go 10 times over the next two weeks I'll give myself another pedicure.  Guess what it was also getting easier to get up and go!  I forgot to mention that I also had to get up at 4:30AM to hit the gym, yeup, I am rising before the chickens, and honestly I am not as tired as one might think.  As of now, I get up and go to the gym every morning, except Sundays.  I felt guilty last week when I had to miss because I had a massive ear infection, I even went this past Sunday to make up for missing Friday. 

The only other thing at this point that I'm doing is drinking water TONS and TONS of water! I'm drinking the equivalent of about 11 glasses a day. 

I've had good days and bad days, I even have good hours and bad hours, there are times when I even have to go minute to minute.  I've had to learn that you have to rejoice and be proud of yourself with the NSV's (non-scale victories) as much as you do with the SV's (scale victories).  Right now I'm down 15lbs, and I'm also going to start measuring myself once a week (this is an important thing to do that I wished I had started out doing, because you will amaze yourself at the number of inches you can drop when you haven't seen a drop in the scale).

I'm not here to tell you all about fitness and nutrition, in fact I'm now working with a personal trainer (next blog) to help me along.  I'm also not here to tell you what will work for you, I'm just telling you what worked for me and hope that maybe just maybe I will be able to help motivate you to get moving and re-model yourself.  So, from here on out this blog will be about my struggles and victories on a road to healthier me, because let's face it, it's a little hard to swallow when the lean healthy person sitting on your left tells you it's easy to do.  I guess think of me as the fat girl on your left telling you that you can do it just like I am, you just have to be willing to take the first step. 

4 1/2 weeks in - 15lbs down

No comments:

Post a Comment